Ensure Your Qurbani / Udhiyyah is Halal & Lawful
“Fighting the Qurbani Scam”
Alhamdulillah through the grace of the Almighty, HMC continues to help the Muslim community to procure and consume Halal with confidence.
As the celebration of Eid-ul-Adha arrives and the Qurbani obligations fall upon many of us, Qurbani orders are received by butchers countrywide. HMC has been working hard in the background to ensure that the Qurbani is completed according to the rules of Shari’ah and the UK Law. HMC is leading the way in providing the Muslim community the assurance that their Qurbani is genuine and Halal.
Qurbani is a sacred act and ibaadah and therefore must be offered in accordance to shari’ah. The animals slaughtered for Qurbani not only have to be slaughtered according to the conditions of Dhabihah (Islamic slaughter) but must also fulfill some extra conditions which qualify it to be a Qurbani.
Qurbani in the UK can only take place in a licensed slaughterhouse by a qualified and licensed slaughter man. It is illegal to do so under any other condition. Veterinary surgeons are present at all licensed slaughterhouses to ensure that all meat is fit for human consumption and that all animal welfare considerations are met. When this is achieved, all carcasses are stamped with an EEC number.
There have been many incidents that HMC has become aware of in the past few years where the Qurbani has not been done properly.
The Qurbani Scams
- Previously, HMC found slaughterhouses slaughtering Qurbani before the Eid Salah (and before dawn). Many are doing this so that meat can be delivered to eager customers early, unfortunately this practice renders the Qurbani void.
- We had learnt of some instances where meat “provided as Qurbani” was everyday normal meat prepared and sold in the shop. This was done to rid excess stock.
- We learnt of the Qurbani fiasco where animals were slaughtered by non-Muslims.
These are grave concerns and one which HMC has been seeking to address with improved systems and awareness.
HMC Assurance Scheme
Special HMC Qurbani procedure ensures HMC consumers can buy their Qurbani meat with utmost confidence. The scheme operates with the following measures to ensure Qurbani is undertaken according to the rules of Shari’ah and the Law;
- Guidance Document – HMC has sent a guidance document highlighting the rules of Shari’ah relating to Qurbani to all its certified slaughterhouses that are performing Qurbani.
- Memorandum of Agreement – HMC has received a signed document from all its certified red meat slaughterhouses that are performing Qurbani to confirm that they have read and understand the shari’ah rulings set out in the guidance document and that they will comply with the rules therein.
- Inspectors’ Presence – HMC is will provide inspectors who will be physically present on all three days of Eid for every Qurbani slaughter.
- Special Qurbani Stamp – HMC has introduced a special stamp for Qurbani that will be used on all Qurbani animals so that outlets and customers can clearly differentiate between normal Halal meat and those slaughtered for Qurbani.
- Ink Colours – It is hoped that all communities will celebrate Eid on the same day, this year. However, if it is not, this will mean customers celebrating on the second day will require their Qurbani to be slaughtered on their Eid day after Eid Salah and not the day before. Hence, in order to distinguish, we will be using different colour inks for both days.
- Licensed EEC No – HMC monitors will ensure that all items that enter HMC certified butchers will be from a HMC certified source and from a licensed slaughterhouse that carries an EEC number, thus each carcass must carry the HMC stamp and the EEC stamp. Any carcass that does not carry a Licensed EEC number and the HMC markings will be refused entry into the store.
HMC requests continued dua and support from all readers. HMC wishes all its supporters, well wishers, and the whole Muslim Ummah Eid Mubarak.
For further information please call HMC on 0844 846 0340 or email email@example.com
“HMC taking deceit out of Qurbani” – Your Seal of Assurance.
*** END ***