HMC Works to Ensure Your Qurbani / Udhiyyah is Halal
“Fighting the Qurbani Scam”
Released 10 November 2010
Alhamdulillah through the grace of the Almighty, HMC continues to help the Muslim community to procure and consume Halal with confidence.
As the celebration of Eid-ul-Adha arrives and the Qurbani orders are received by butchers countrywide, HMC has been working hard in the background to ensure that the Qurbani is completed according to the rules of Shari’ah.
This is extremely important as there have been many incidents that HMC has become aware of in the past couple of years where the Qurbani has not been done properly
The Qurbani Scams
- Previously, HMC found slaughterhouses slaughtering Qurbani before the Eid Salah (and before dawn). Many are doing this so that meat can be delivered to eager customers early, unfortunately this practice renders the Qurbani void
- We had learnt of some instances where meat “provided as Qurbani” was everyday normal meat prepared and sold in the shop. This was done to rid excess stock
- We learnt of the Qurbani fiasco where animals were slaughtered by non-Muslims (see our newsletter issue 12 http://www.halalmc.net/newsletters/issue12.pdf)
These are grave concerns and one which HMC has been seeking to address with improved systems and awareness.
HMC Assurance Scheme
Special HMC Qurbani procedure ensures HMC consumers can buy their Qurbani meat with utmost confidence. The scheme operates with the following measures to ensure Qurbani is undertaken according to the rules of Shari’ah;
- Guidance Document – HMC has sent a guidance document highlighting the rules of Shari’ah relating to Qurbani to all its certified slaughterhouses that are performing Qurbani
- Memorandum of Agreement – HMC has received a signed document from all its certified red meat slaughterhouses that are performing Qurbani to confirm that they have read and understand the shari’ah rulings set out in the guidance document and that they will comply with the rules therein
- Inspectors’ Presence – HMC is the only certification organisation that will provide inspectors who will be physically present on all three days of Eid for every Qurbani slaughter
- New Special Qurbani Stamp – HMC has introduced a special stamp for Qurbani that will be used on all Qurbani animals so that outlets and customers can clearly differentiate between normal Halal meat and those slaughtered for Qurbani
- Ink Colours – It has been brought to light that Eid will be celebrated on two separate days Tuesday 16th & Wednesday 17th November 2010. This means customers celebrating on Wed will require their Qurbani to be slaughtered on Wed after Eid Salah and not before (Tuesday). Hence, please ensure this is clarified at the point of placing the order. In order to distinguish, we will be using different colour inks for these days as below:
a) Tuesday 16th November after Eid Salat – Brown Ink markings up until Eid Salat Wed 17th November
b) Wednesday 17th November After Eid Salat – Red ink markings up until Magrib Salat Thursday 18th November
c) Thursday 18th November After Magrib Salat – brown ink markings up until Magrib Salat Friday 19th November (third day for those celebrating Eid on Wed)
HMC requests continued dua and support from all readers. HMC wishes all its supporters, well wishers, and the whole Muslim Ummah Eid Mubarak.
“HMC taking deceit out of Qurbani” – Your Seal of Assurance.
For further information please call HMC on 0844 846 0340 or email email@example.com
*** END ***