Outlets who claim to use HMC suppliers

  Back to News

It has come to our attention that a number of unregulated (not certified by HMC) butchers/restaurants/takeaways have placed signs within their shops claiming that the meat and poultry that they sell are sourced from a HMC supplier. Please see some examples below:

Example: Outlet claiming to use HMC chicken

Example: Outlet claiming to source all meat and poultry from HMC approved suppliers

Example: Outlet claiming to sell HMC Halal meat

Problem 1

A shop claiming to use approved suppliers could be true for 90% of the items sold but what about the remaining 10%? As HMC is not monitoring the shop in question, there is no way for HMC to verify the store’s supply chain and quantify that they are buying HMC approved products.

Problem 2

There are some outlets who claim that ALL of their meat and poultry is sourced from a HMC supplier. Again, this may be true today but how can you be confident that the outlet will not use suppliers, which are not certified by HMC, tomorrow?  It is important to note that HMC approve individual products making each product fully traceable through the supply chain. It is this traceability that allows HMC to verify the products that are sold at HMC certified products.

Something to consider: How would you feel if you went to buy a pair of designer shoes and later found out that they were not the real deal?


Certified stores that are approved by HMC, means that the shop supply chain is verified and its premises are monitored a minimum of 4 times per week, every week throughout its complete membership lifetime. A monitor can turn up to a certified outlet at any time and more importantly turn up unannounced. 

By becoming certified, doubts are removed and reassurance is provided, so you and your family can be confident that what you’re eating is genuinely Halal. To learn more about the HMC Halal process, watch our video here or visit www.halalhmc.org to locate your nearest certified store today.

How to check is an outlet is genuinely certified by HMC?

  1. There is an A3 Yellow sticker on the window or door
  2. There is a valid, up to date certificate on display in the outlet
  3. The outlet details appear on the HMC website.


HMC is the UK’s largest Halal certifying body, employing over 220 people. Last month alone, HMC staff spent 14,448 hours to ensure your food is genuinely Halal with 15,488 visits made to outlets nationwide. It is a registered charity and also a not for profit organisation. It is overseen by a voluntary body, the National Executive Committee that consists of mainly scholars who are the Trustees of the organisation. HMC has been set up to work in the favour of all Muslims and the consumer at large. HMC aims to regulate and at every point inspect Halal products from source to the consumer. HMC is committed to serving the Muslims and the wider community and it intends to provide peace of mind and security where required.­­

Comments are closed.